Any readers who know me in real life will know that my children aren’t the greatest eaters when it comes to main meals. They adore all kinds of desserts and fruit, and eat well when it comes to pasta, bread and rice, but meat, potatoes and veg aren’t really their thing.
So, lately I’ve been trying to include repeats of recipes in our weekly meal plan, in the hope that they will eventually try some of the new flavours and textures on their plates. It’s been moderately successful. My 1.5 year old has mainly just played with it then filled up with fruit and yoghurt afterwards, but my 3.5 year old has tried quite a few new things, and liked some of them, which is really heartening, because she has been incredibly fussy for a long time now. Maybe she’s growing out of that phase.
The flip side of trying out new recipes for dinner is that desserts have been limited to fruit and yoghurt, but that’s probably no bad thing given the lack of vegetables going into their tummies! Oh, and these beauties which I made with Sophie:
Anyway, here’s what’s been cooking this week, including a couple of our new favourites.
- Monday: Honey and citrus baked chicken, new potatoes, steamed broccoli and beans
- Tuesday: Spaghetti carbonara (with spinach thrown in – they didn’t even realise it was there!)
- Wednesday: Stir-fried pork, baby corn and mangetout with soy, honey and ginger sauce, with egg noodles
- Thursday: Sweet potato, black bean and red pepper hash with fried eggs (the kids had some leftover meat from earlier in the week too)
- Friday: Ready-meal night! Sausages for them, leftovers from Thursday for us
- Saturday: Roast chicken, mash, broccoli and beans
- Sunday: Out for lunch / Chipotle salmon tacos with mango salsa for grown-ups for dinner (sandwiches for kids!) 🙂
What did you cook this week? Share to inspire others!